Where does inspiration lie? Everywhere!

This is my attempt to pounce on and then shape the words I breathe.

Please join me with your comments and make this a dialogue . . . and visit Susan's Poetry!

Monday, November 16, 2015

"Stage 1 – Cultivating metta" and Today's Colors of Sadness and Hope



hands and flowers


Dr. Amanda Kemp sent a powerful link to us on Day 16 of this cycle of her 30-Day Meditation Challenge (Can it truly be day 16 already?): Stage 1 – Cultivating metta toward yourself. The image above is from the same page. Imagine that is me/you in those hands. Imagine those hands every shade of skin imaginable. I love the image because it reminds me of the fragility of hands all over the world--like flowers, they need loving kindness to stay alive, lively and life-giving. A post I read earlier today spoke of the thousands of heartbeats the world lost due to bombings and terrorism in the last few days. When you think of hands, multiply by a factor of at least 2.

So I started this meditation in a state of anxiety. I fixed my chair to give my spine support and began the ritual relaxation that brought me to the phrases I attempted weeks ago:

May I be well.May I be happy.May I be free from suffering.
And they worked so much better! I'm building "me" as a starting place for larger work. Knowing that was basic made me let go of the pit of guilt in my stomach and the sadness of this day. 

When the voice spoke of dropping these words into my relaxed body, my mind gave me a watercolor image: You know how washing the brushes tints a glass of water? I saw myself as the glass of water. I was a blue tint. Dropping the words in changed that to pink which I felt as a rosier outlook. That's as far as that went today, but I want to work more with the image!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me your story and/or respond to mine.