Where does inspiration lie? Everywhere!

This is my attempt to pounce on and then shape the words I breathe.

Please join me with your comments and make this a dialogue . . . and visit Susan's Poetry!

Friday, June 13, 2014

il gatto with nine lines

The Most Amazing Cats of Guido Vedovato!
See them here:  

In her blog Stelladilatta of 11/7/2013,  GIO writes:  "Guido Vedovato was born in 1961 in Vicenza. Self-taught, he began his artistic cariera in 1970, is a naive painter and sculptor. Its ...."


Guido Vedovato in his studio
CC BY-SA 3.0, via Wikipedia

I first saw Vedovato's work today in Fireblossom Friday: The Art of Guido Vedovato at Imaginary Garden with Real Toads, where the prompt is to write a poem inspired by his art.  His cats are unlike any I have seen before.  Go and look at them!  Here are my impressions:



il gatto
with nine lines


The solidity of its rising
over city scapes and its settling
into landscapes and rabbit barrows

Its weightiness hollowing welcome
from sofa and chair cushions, soft laps
and cardboard boxes—its hair blessing

Trees praise its loyalty; and a bird
dares charm it with song, training its tail
to dance snakelike in fields and hedgerows




Copyright © 2014  S.L.Chast

~

14 comments:

  1. Loved you vision of a bird training a cat's tail. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. His cats are gorgeous! I love them too.. and your poem contains that vibrancy and cleverly depicts the way they dominate their surroundings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Its weightiness hollowing welcome
    from sofa and chair cushions, soft laps
    and cardboard boxes" ...that is such a neat observation - love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've brought his cats, that are so full of vibrancy and life, even more to life with your poetry, Susan!! I love the daring bird...I wonder if that is the one with the bird perched on its back...I paused over that one for a moment...was on the verge of a story for that cat! They're irresistible and your poem is a joy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of the bird song training its tail to "dance snakelike". Cool!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this! Cats are wonderful little (some not so little) creatures. Nine lines/nine lives ~~ nice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You [wisely ?] don't really let on whether or not you like this style.
    I felt I couldn't write as I like neither cats nor most versions of primitive art.
    Which begs the question: can one write good poetry on topics or subjects one heartily dislikes? Easier for prose somehow, but again, why is that?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I liked his cats a lot also--to me they seemed very three-dimensional and their fur reminded my of fabric or something else very tactile and organic that never was on a cat. ;_) You give a great shape and dignity to these images with your words, Susan. Great wordplay in the title.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very clever--I think of Eliot's cat slinking about like yellow smoke. I am unfortunately allergic to cats as is my whole family and I am a bit suspicious of them as killers of birds! But your poem almost won me over! Ha. It is wonderfully lyrical. K. Manicddaily

    ReplyDelete
  10. Susan, I'm liking your "il gatto [cat of nine lives] -- in nine lines", Susan.
    Also there is quando il gatto non c'è i topi ballano (Proverbio) when the cat's away the mice will play.
    I would like to have one of Vedovata's cat prints, especially since only one of us at our house wants to get another cat.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm sorry you only "almost" won Karin over with your cat poem, but allergies are strong persuaders. Like others above, I also love the idea of a bird charming a cat's tail to "dance snakelike"! Wonderful, my friend.
    Luv, K

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the link that exists between all the elements of this poem. So much awareness...

    ReplyDelete

Tell me your story and/or respond to mine.